The hydrogen gas that batteries make when charging is very explosive. We have seen instances of batteries blowing up and drenching everything in sulphuric acid and sending jagged pieces of the poly propylene case up to 20 metres away. It only takes a small spark, flame or burning cigarette to set off a dangerous explosion. Therefore ignition sources must be kept well away at all times.
Extreme caution must be taken to avoid spilling or splashing electrolyte (battery acid) as it can destroy clothing and burn the skin. Care should also be taken when lifting and carrying batteries due, if excessive pressure is placed on the end walls of the battery it can cause electrolyte to seep (or even squirt) through the vents, this is usually found in cheaper imported batteries that use thinner casings and not reinforced.
It is highly recommended to wear safety goggles and even a face shield when working near batteries. Never lean over the battery during charging, testing or “jump starting” operations. If acid does get into your eyes you must flush out with water immediately and continue to flush with water for at least 5 minutes.
Take care to ensure tools or other metallic objects do not fall across the terminal or any adjacent metallic part of the vehicle.
When doing electrical work on vehicles it is best to disconnect the ground (earth) cable. Just remember that you are messing with corrosive acid, explosive gases and electrical current.
Batteries are also very heavy, ensure correct lifting procedures are used when moving or installing batteries.